TORONTO'S DR. HARDY DISCUSSES ONTARIO CHIROPODISTS AND X-RAYS
posted: Jan 23, 2014.
ONTARIO CHIROPODISTS ARE PRIMARY CARE HEALTH PRACTITIONERS WHICH MEANS THAT YOU DO NOT NEED TO HAVE A REFERRAL FROM A MEDICAL DOCTOR IN ORDER TO CONSULT THEM.
THEY ARE HIGHLY EDUCATED WITH A MINIMUM OR 6 YEARS POST SECONDARY EDUCATION AND ARE SKILLED AND TRAINED IN SURGERY AND CAN PRESCRIBE MEDICATIONS. THEY CAN DIAGNOSE BUT BECAUSE OF STRANGE CIRCUMSTANCES THAT PRESENTLY EXIST IN THE LEGISLATION CANNOT CONVEY THAT DIAGNOSIS TO THEIR PATIENTS EVEN THOUGH THEY ARE PRIMARY CARE HEALTH PRACTITIONERS.
STRANGE DOESN'T BEGIN TO DESCRIBE IT!
THEY ARE EDUCATED AND ALLOWED TO READ X-RAYS. THE COLLEGE OF CHIROPODISTS HAS NO JURISDICTION OVER X-RAYS. THEY ARE REGULATED BY THE HARP ACT (HEALING ARTS RADIATION PROTECTION ACT) FROM THE MOLTC (MINISTRY OF LONG TERM CARE) RADIATION DEPARTMENT.
THE HARP ACT STATES
(3) An owner of an X-ray machine registered with the Director who changes his, her or its business address shall give written notice of the change to the Director within fifteen days of the occurrence of the change. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.2, s. 4 (3).
(4), (5) Repealed: 2011, c. 1, Sched. 6, s. 2 (1).
Use of X-ray machine
5. (1) No person shall operate an X-ray machine for the irradiation of a human being unless the person meets the qualifications and requirements prescribed by the regulations. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.2, s. 5 (1).
Persons deemed to be qualified
(2) The following persons shall be deemed to meet the qualifications prescribed by the regulations:
1. A legally qualified medical practitioner.
2. A member of the Royal College of Dental Surgeons of Ontario.
3. A member of the College of Chiropodists of Ontario who has been continuously registered as a chiropodist under the Chiropody Act and the Chiropody Act, 1991 since before November 1, 1980 or who is a graduate of a four-year course of instruction in chiropody.
4. A member of the College of Chiropractors of Ontario.
5. Repealed: 1998, c. 18, Sched. G, s. 51 (2).
6. Repealed: 2011, c. 1, Sched. 6, s. 2 (1).
7. A member of the College of Medical Radiation Technologists of Ontario.
8. A member of the College of Dental Hygienists of Ontario. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.2, s. 5 (2); 1998, c. 18, Sched. G, s. 51 (2, 3); 2011, c. 1, Sched. 6, s. 2 (1).
AS THE CURRENT LEGISLATION READS, MY LOVELY WIFE, MARZ HARDY, D.Ch., B.Sc., PODIATRIC MEDICINE SHOULD BE ELIGIBLE TO ORDER OWN AND TAKE X-RAYS. WE HAVE BEEN OBTAINING CONFLICTING INFORMATION FROM THE MINISTRY WHERE THE DIRECTOR OF THE DEPARTMENT HAS BEEN QUOTING NON-EXISTENT LEGISLATION. WE ARE PRESENTLY APPEALING THIS RULING WITH THE MINISTRY.
BROUGHT TO YOU BY DR. HARDY, OWNER OF ACADEMY FOOT AND ORTHOTIC CLINICS.